Sunday, October 5, 2014

Already Tested: Chicken Cordon Bleu from Food Network

I don't think this dish is particularly healthy, but I'm sure it isnt' terrible and not as bad as restaurant food. But man, it tastes great. I baked it, which is great because oil or butter isn't used, saving you calories. Also it uses chicken breast which is also lean. The only two factors I feel are "fatty" are the prosciutto and cheese used in each roll/log.

Oh by the way, this was a dish I made a few weeks ago already but now am posting it.


This portion I'm about to break down for you comfortably fed both my boyfriend and me with no leftovers but we were still full, granted we did have some pasta to go with it.

This is the cost break down for a portion for 2:

  • 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into thin slabs then pounded out to be 1/4 inch thick ($1.88/lb)
    • NOTE: This pound yielded around 5 rolls/logs in the end that are approximately 3-5 inches long
  • 8 THIN prosciutto slices ($3 for 10 slices at Target from the deli, therefore $2.40)
    • NOTE: Some chicken slabs will be bigger after being pounded out so I had to use 2 slices since the prosciutto isn't very wide
  • 1 cup 4 cheese Italian blend from Sam's Club (I think it was $8 for 1lb tub, therefore I think this may be $1-2 worth)
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour ($2 for a huge bag so maybe 10 cents tops)
  • OMITTED salt and pepper because the prosciutto is very salty and flavored the chicken enough
  • 1 cup Panko bread crumbs ($1.90 for the box, so approx 45 cents used is my estimate but I may be wrong)
  • OMITTED the fresh thyme (expensive to buy fresh herbs and this dish was great even without it)
  • OMITTED garlic (didn't need it honestly. I'm sure there might more of a kick of flavor but that prosciutto already packs a lot of flavor)
  • OMITTED butter (I don't know why this recipe needs butter honestly. It's extra calories and my dish still turned out delicious)
  • 1 egg (20 cents)
GRAND TOTAL: $7.03 for 2 people, not including the pasta I cooked with it, to which I used 1/2 a box of penne pasta which would literally amount to $1.50 used if that

Here's my instagram crappy picture of the turn out. I used cream cheese in this photo but normally I use the 4 cheese Italian blend as mentioned.


 photo chickencordonbleu_zps5cc57b9e.jpg

Looks much better after you slice it out and arrange it on a plate in an artful way! This is fresh out of the oven.

WHAT I THINK OF THE TURN OUT:

VERY delicious, even though I omitted the thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Honestly it tasted GREAT despite omitting those. I don't need to spend an extra few bucks to get that thyme. This wasn't difficult to make. It was just tedious. You need a meat tenderizer mallet to hammer out the chicken thin so that it will roll. My picture, if you compare it to the foodnetwork picture, looks more or less the same, so I'm happy to report that you get what you see once you make it, as opposed to a lot of other recipes we try out and they end up looking sad haha.

I really do not recommend adding extra salt because I stressed already that the prosciutto really packs on a lot of flavor already. My boyfriend completely loves this dish and didn't think that there was anything missing in flavor when eating it. He wants me to make it again haha. It's really a great dish that looks presentable enough for a party and tastes great. Just be prepared to be in the kitchen for an hour to make a 2-person portion if you're an amateur in the kitchen like me.

I also apologize for not approximating the cost exactly. It's difficult to look at a huge bag of flour that doesn't cost very much and estimate how much you've used when you barely used anything. But the overall message is that this dish won't cost you very much. It isn't dirt cheap but for what you get, which is a delicious and well presented meal, it's affordable.

This is now a favorite of mine and my boyfriend. I will be sure to make this again and again.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the comments!

See y'all in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment